Monday, May 26, 2008

Remember & Honor





Today is the day that we've set aside to honor those who have given their lives in service of our country, protecting our Freedom.
Wow. The true depth of that sacrifice is staggering. They gave up their lives, for what? An idea? A ho
pe? Did they even know?
What does Freedom mean to you? To me, it's an understanding. We won't always see eye to eye. I promise that I will, at some point, say or do something that will offend you. I won't always like what you say or do. We can have debates, discussions and arguments where you will try to get me to see things your way and I will try to get you to see them mine. You will NEVER hear me tell you that you have no right to say something. I may tell you you're an idiot for saying something and, depending on the circumstances, I may even tell you you're an idiot for thinking a particular way, and in the case of the "reverand" Fred Phelps, Well, He can just go fuck himself to death.... I don't like being that judgmental, but at times, I am. However, you have the right to say whatever you feel. one of many rights that you will only get here in the United States of America.
I saw an article on the internet recently about Bridget Bardot, A famed actress of the 1960's now 73, who is being prosecuted in France for a charge of "Inciting Racial Hatred" for saying that "the Muslim community was destroying [France} and imposing its acts" (Never mind that "Muslim" is a CHOSEN religion, not a race). Prosecutors are asking for a sentence of two months in jail and 15,000 Euros. I don't know about you, but I've heard a hell of a lot worse here and never even batted an eye (I'm with you, Bridget). I could break the entire scenario down & point out exactly how asinine France is about this particular case, but what's new about that? My point here was supposed to be that even though we hear about the "Free World" there is no such thing. There Is America, and then there is everywhere else.
Keep this in mind.

With the United States now in it's sixth year since the start of military action in Iraq everywhere you look are bumper stickers, ribbon magnets, posters and signs telling you to support our troops. I agree. Whole heartedly. But it looks entirely too commercial. Like the newest fad that everyone does and no one really knows why. Like those "Baby on Board" signs & stuffed Garfield dolls. Mostly, I am disappointed that people use support for the troops to silence opposition to the war.
Can you respect and love and honor the warriors without supporting the war?
To truly get the depth of that question, ask the family of a service member killed in
Iraq.
I believe the answer is yes, you can. In fact, I do. I am told to remain silent, but I see that as a disservice to the men & women who have fought and continue to fight to preserve the right for me to speak. I see the only way to honor their sacrifice is to exercise the freedom they fight for. I will not spend this day reciting my reasoning for feeling this way, but I did want to tell you how I feel.
I have two quotes that I believe apply.
The first, I have no idea who said it first. I actually found it as a signature on another person's profile on another website.

"I may not agree with what your bumper sticker says, but I will defend with my life your right to stick it"
The second is from Thomas Jefferson, a Man who within his lifetime, forgot more about Freedom than most of us will ever learn...
"The right to hold one's own views, and to think and to decide for oneself on any question, is an essential right for a free people. A person is free to believe anything he wishes, even if in error, and may not be persecuted nor denied the right to hold public office for those beliefs. The First Amendment protections for freedom of religion, of speech, of the press and of assembly, all together protect the Freedom of Conscience."

From here, I welcome your viewpoint. In agreement or not, Because I value your Freedom to speak as much as your opinion.
Have a wonderful Memorial day, however you choose to spend it.
I'm going for a ride.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To End with a smile...

6 comments:

"Joker" said...

Well said brother.

The war is a touchy subject. I don't hold anyone up as a traitor for being against war, as long as they don't focus the blame for it on the men and women who serve.

I'm against war. One would think any of us would be. Who could possibly for the killing and maiming of people and the destruction of property?

The big problem with that is sometimes waiting for the fight to "come to us" ends up being more costly than cutting the head from the viper when it first shows itself. None of us will ever be in agreement on this, but I hesitate to arm-chair quarterback with people's lives.

Hesitation in the face of threats can be a dangerous thing. When Hitler started his crap in the 1930s, he could very easily have been stopped. The cost of lives would have been minimal. But we didn't want to get involved, and by the time the fight came to us in 1941...well, you know the rest.

All I can hope for is that it ends when those who know better than I decide our objectives have been achieved. I'll feel better knowing we can get out of there today, without worrying about going back tomorrow.

Congrats on your degree. Ride safe.

FLHX_Dave said...

Good point sir. This is where most people need to really sit down and think about what they are saying. Supporting the troops does not necessarily equate to an agreement with the conflict. Here is my humble two cents: If you feel you can not support the troops without supporting the conflict, then you don't support the troops as a defensive force either. You certainly can separate the support. You are a fair weather warrior supporter if you can't, and a band wagon jumper...just the thing you claim to be against, the blind follower of propaganda.

Thanks for the post bro. You would have been beheaded for posting those picts in some countries. You gotta love freedom! Thanks for taking your freedom for a walk by posting the naked chick on the bike!

Anonymous said...

OMG Camron, I am so offended by the sight of naked girls on such a wholesome motorcycle blog! Where can a biker with high moral fibre like myself find a blog that won't send my conscience into the gutter? :)

Ann said...

Amen, brother!

I am against the war, but how can I not support our brave warriors? I have 3 in the military, and even if I didn't I would still support our men and women in the military.

We can't all always agree...but it's nice that we can always agree to disagree...without all the fighting.

Anonymous said...

Here, here! =)

Excellent post.

*ting of salute*

One Harley Rider said...

I love that FLAG Picture!!!